In my many years of making fun of media from my armchair, it's happened a few times that something stupid I made up actually became a joke on television, or, even worse, became a product.
That's happening again. One of my favorite ideas for a TV show was one my brother and I came up with called "Day & Night," whose premise was that a white police detective named Michael Day transformed into a black vampire at night named Kevin Night - and that as a black vampire he pursued the criminals that he couldn't catch "by the book" as a white detective during the day. I laugh every time I think about it because it's so stupid, yet so plausibly sounds like a pitch a producer would make to Fox or maybe the USA network.
Well, now there's a show called "Moonlight" coming out on CBS. A description of the show from AOL's TV website says, somewhat sarcastically: "A really sexy vampire P.I. saves innocent people from creepy bad guys and falls in love with a mortal." I'm not even sure that's as entertaining as "Day and Night" would be, but it's certainly the same line of thinking. I'm positive that I could work for one of the networks as a series development executive, and retire after a few years knowing I've done my part to foster long-term damage to American popular culture.
Where the Hell are my royalty checks?
Sunday, September 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment