Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Grrr. Radio, BAD!

So this absolutely makes me sound like an old man, but I have to say something about the state of local radio in Milwaukee. In short, it’s starting to blow.

The classical station WFMR 106.9 FM just changed its format in the past week to a “smooth" jazz station. I don’t listen to classical music all the time, but I listen enough to miss the presence of a station that plays it. It was terribly pleasant to turn on something timeless and elegant at the end of a stressful day. Of course, I could always buy recordings of classical music, but that misses the point of having a radio station that I can turn on wherever I am. I never thought that I would find it disappearing from the dial, especially in Milwaukee, a city that prides itself on its commitment to the arts.

"Real" jazz like John Coltrane, Miles Davis or Dave Brubeck has meanwhile also disappeared from the Milwaukee airwaves. The station that played classic jazz has disappeared as well, and has turned into a "variety" station as of February. It’s still a non-commercial radio station, and the new format isn’t bad, but I still lament loss of a “true” jazz station.

Now I realize there’s internet and satellite radio, but internet radio requires a computer to always be on and often isn’t as high quality. Satellite radio has a monthly fee and requires a special receiver. In short, nothing will be as convenient as turning on my stereo and having great music come out. Well, there’s still my iPod, but again, that doesn’t help me listen to music I don’t own.

At least we still have two NPR stations… although, with current trends it wouldn’t surprise me if they turned into ultra right-wing talk stations any day now. That’s what the audience wants, right?

No comments: