Monday, March 03, 2008

The new Scirocco


Over the weekend, LeftlaneNews.com posted leaked photos of the production version of the new Volkswagen Scirocco. I've been looking forward to a new one since the Corrado was discontinued in the early 90's (the Corrado was basically a more-expensive heir to the Scirocco concept, and was quite the screamer on the Autobahn), so this is exciting.

The old Scirocco of the 70's and 80's was a car I feel a deep love of; it was an aspirational vehicle for me as a child. We used to weave through rush-hour traffic like a hot knife through butter in that car. These cars were sporty, two-door "GT" cars that were in competition with cars like the more well-known Toyota Celica. My older brother had two Sciroccos, and the last one he had was the 16-valve Mark II in bright red with a black leather interior. I believe it was Road & Track magazine that referred to this version in 1986 as "a Volkswagen for the perpetually impatient."

The new Scirocco may not be imported to America because the GTI is selling so well here, and in many ways they are similar cars (they're both hatchbacks with similar engines and handling character). It's possible that the Scirocco will replace the GTI at some point during the product cycle, but it will likely be much more expensive, especially since it's a bit more luxurious.

Lately, I've sort of felt that my 2000 Jetta, comfortable and reliable as it is, has made me a bit complacent as a driver. The Scirocco, or GTI would be far more involving, although I've considered the Scion TC because it is spiritually much like an updated Scirocco in its character (and in price; $17,000 as a base price is more in the spirit of the Volkswagens of yore).

I have to say though, the new Scirocco pictures aren't that impressive. The car does not look as aggressive as the concept car, but I've said that many times before seeing the car in person, only to be impressed with how elegant it turns out to be in reality. The new mini-SUV Tiguan by VW may be the only SUV I'd own, now that I've seen it in person at the auto show.

Addendum: Wired News has this tidbit today about VW introducing a diesel hybrid Golf/Rabbit that gets about 70mpg, with lower emissions than either the Toyota Prius or Honda Civic Hybrid. Looks promising. If only Americans were not so afraid of diesel. My father's non-hybrid diesel Jetta already gets 50mpg, and has actually seen its resale value increase every time the cost of fuel goes up.

2 comments:

Brett said...

I will have this car. It will be mine. I will drive the living shit out of it.

David J. said...

Well, I guess VW won't be bringing the Scirocco to the US. The dollar is too weak for it to be profitable, they're saying. I don't understand that because the Rabbit is made in Germany and the Eos is made in Portugal, in the same plant the Scirocco is going to be made in.

Whatever the reason, I'm blaming Bush.